Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sublime night snow ride in the RVA



Riding around Richmond in the snow last night was sublime.

I left the house about 8:00pm thinking I would roll around the hood and finish up on the trainer. Turned out I was having so much fun that I just kept riding and ended up over at Forest Hill park after riding some single track at Dogwood Dell.



There was not much traffic, save for the occasional snow plow I had to dodge.
Carytown looked very nice and the store lights contrasted very well with the snow.


I was really glad I had on proper kit, and later would find out that bringing the goggles was a solid move.

As made my way to the Carillon tower it was nice to see how many people were enjoying the snow. I admired how cool the tower looked back lit by the spotlights in a winter storm background.

I switched on my lights and knocked out some Dogwood Dell single track, err… snowpath. I was amazed at the silence, except when I used my brake.

As I crossed the nickel bridge I noticed how cool the James river looked with it’s rock outcrops iced in snow against a cold black river.

I saw people walking in the middle of the bridge and said “Hi”. That’s when I realized it was closed.

Next I spent some time wandering through Westover Hills and made my way over Coqui Cyclery. All those sweet Giant bikes inside a warm dry store looked like a Christmas card!

I rode back through some sections of Forest Hill park and ten crossed back over the nickel bridge. There was a news truck at the top waiting to broadcast more hype and fear. I was glad to be out embracing the beauty.

Just before I got to the toll both on the other side, a train came barreling under the bridge. Man that was an awesome scene from above in the snow.

I started my way back home and the snow and wind had really kicked up. Now I had an adventure!

My glasses iced over.

OK, so now I donned my goggles and sub par eyesight. Thank goodness for those goggles!

The rest of the ride home got a bit colder as the snow grew deeper and I was riding into the wind and snow. Now my goggles started fogging. I was glad there was little traffic as I was riding blind. After another 15 minutes of slippery riding dodging more snow plows I finally arrived home to a somewhat worried wife.

What an awesome ride that turned out to be!


1 comment:

  1. Hell yeah Jeffro! I have to say that write-up makes me jealous...

    ReplyDelete