Monday, February 20, 2012

2012 Pantani Ride



Once again the forecast was bleak going into the weekend. Friday weather forecasts ranged from an inch or two to half a foot. Given the steep nature of the routes gravel climbs it would be treacherous to get caught out in the mountains west of C-ville, and if you are real lucky you might get dragged out of the snow by some tooth challenged locals for 'who knaws whut'. Luckily we have a number of optimists in the RVA who like a good challenge / beat down.

If seriously long and steep climbs feed you need for pain, the Pantani ride delivers.

After the obligatory stop at Bodos for some great bagel sandwiches and coffee we made our way to the race start on route 666. David R, Toddy G and Myself exited the Mazda and got our bikes ready for some gravel and steep grades. A very civil start of the ride kicked the day off and I settled in with Todd for an honest days work.



This ride has some very nice scenery if you decide to stop concentrating on holding a wheel and enjoy the landscape.



Numerous sections of winding paved and gravel country roads compose the 1st part of the ride and allow a nice warm up for the silly steep fire roads that are in the "Lollipop" loop.

As the 1st major gravel climb tickled my quads, I heard what I thought was a bunch of dirt bikes coming up the road. That raspy thumping crack of a single four stroke has an unmistakable brraappppp! Soon, a gaggle of quad ATV riders passed me just as I made the right turn at the hill-billy hideout. I must say I was disappointed, dirt bikes are cool, ATV’s are for dorks! Anyway, I thought of how silly this climb would be on my Kawasaki and how honest it was keeping me on my Giant.

Todd and I ground out this climb and then bombed the mountain's backside on very steep fire-road descent. It was a bit quick in sections as I tucked in and hit top speed. My bike computer confirmed my suspicion that I was moving along at an honest forty plus.



At the bottom, we turned right and made our way to the start of a big, steep, climb on BrokenBack mountain road.



Eventually this part of the "lollipop" sends you back up the very steep fire-road descent that you rode earlier. It's very steep during the last few switch backs and can really give you an idea of where fitness is at.



After the big climb there is a long fast set of downhill gravel turns. As we headed south I could see the snow coming in with a gray and white fog engulfing the distant ridges.







As we pounded out the road back to the finish a few good snow flurries kept the scenery interesting. We were lucky to roll up to the Mazda just as the snow really started.






We packed everything up in a rush and got on the road just as it started to get pretty thick. Another great winter ride in the VA Mountains!

4 comments:

  1. awesome. I got asolid faceful of ice on my run that morning, so I'm sure 40 mph ice on that descent would have made the ride more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great ride for sure. I didn't know what 30* pitches felt like till this weekend, no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you boys north of Fooftown.

    Nice work.

    Dragon's Tale?

    Peace,
    Metro

    ReplyDelete