Thursday, January 5, 2012

DPR Kicking it at the 2012 50/50

David and I showed up to represent Design Physics Racing at the 2012 50/50 ride. A sizable group was on hand for the start of the ride and the usual suspects prepared for the start. As usual, Metro arrived fashionably late and in style. I also had a chance to catch up with some friends from the Richmond Velo Sports team.



Before long, we were off. The leaders blasted through the stop sign onto River Road and this set the tone for traffic violations for the majority of intersections encountered during the ride. When rolling with this motley crew, you are on your own for checking for a safe crossings!



Soon we bypassed almost all JRP single track and the route took us through Carytown to Broad street. We rode close by Damon's house and I thought we should have given him a hooligans wakeup at 7:30am. No rest for the wicked eh?



Before long we had chugged along through a bunch of very questionable railway areas, and then surprised a guard standing near the Richmond convention center as we fractured into several groups heading towards Church Hill. Soon we were passing the Haines residence and it occurred to me that we could kidnap Tom and force him on the ride. Alas, it was not to be.



After assaulting Church Hill and several super sketchy "pirate trails" we ended up near the port of Richmond and were soon skirting legality by riding some gravel roads around a huge rock quarry.

Then eventually we rode a mix of paved roads and ended up on a "gravel road" next to a military base or something. This is where some MP's yelled at some riders to "get across the creek" that I had just soaked my shoes in. Per the Rooster's request to "get those DP guys on the front" I pulled a good bit and then handed it over to the Velo Sports Guys and JMAC.

Miles later and after a lunch stop, we finally were riding gravel at Pocohontas. I got a flat and was promptly dropped. So I fixed my flat, and then was glad to see David coming back for me. We got separated from the group for the riding of all the colored trails. When we rode lake view 1-2-3, David put his stamp of authority by pulling away from all the fast guys and waiting for us at the trail head.

We regrouped and re-hydrated and noted how the day was quickly leaving us. Soon we would all take long pulls on Courthouse RD all the way back to Richmond. I fell off the back of one group when my legs finally started bonking. Then I picked up Metro, who rode with me until in his own words declared… "Honey Plassman, you are too small to draft!" and he rode off to get some fuel, err... beer.

With my legs shot and the day going quick, I headed back to the start/finish hosted by Brandy and Travis. I finished a long day with some awesome post ride snacks and beer. What a way to ring in the new year.

1 comment: