Thursday, May 10, 2012

Middle Mountain Momma

May 6th has longed been marked on my calendar. Why? Because Middle Mountain Momma was going down then, which happens to be one of the best races on the East coast. I rolled out of town with Metro (who is still in brace type thing after his crash) and Leeger. After a stop in C-Ville to pick out Denelle, were off for 40 miles of goodness in Douthat State Park and The George Washington National Forest. We got there earlier enough so Leeger and I could stash some bottles at two different points in the race.

     After registration, everyone lined up in the field and listened to Kyle, the promoter, talk about the course for a bit. Then he  said "Go" and the sound of 70 cleats clipping in marked the start of the race. The very start was a little crazy with the trails being muddy and lots of people were dabbing. After maybe a quarter mile things thinned out and I began to settle in to my pace. The start of course begins with a 1800ft climb up to the top of the mountain known as Middle Mountain. I started to grind my way past numerous other riders some geared and some single. Once the switchbacks began, I got settled in behind Peter Kotes and we made good time up the climb. Peter dropped his chain and I went around. After maybe 5 minutes he caught back up to me on section I got off and walked. I finally made it to the top of ridge and began the sweet, sweet downhill towards Smith Creek Road. Right before you finish the downhill on Middle Mountain you have 6 or 7 tight switchbacks, that seem impossible to ride. I got around 3 but couldn't ride the one Metro was standing on taking pictures of people riding by. Fail!
   
     The lasso loop portion of the race, was very muddy due to the fire that swept through there, that created a lot of dust. The hill up to the fireroad climb after the deep creek crossing was virtually unrideable on the single. On the fireroad climb I road with a dude from the WV Nightclub, who was having a bad day, considering he finished fourth last year on a single. I got away from him on the fireroad climb and the hike-a-bike up to start on the downhill. Eventually he passed on the downhill on this stoopid tight and steep switch back, that I walked. That dude can ride a downhill like its nobodies business. After this dry rocky section, the downhill turns into less singletrack and more of a grassy fireroad, that's super fun and fast. At the bottom of the downhill, I waited up and rode with a dude on a 1x9 Karate Monkey who I think was named Jon. We paced each other on the climb back up the bottom half the first fireroad climb. At the very top I caught the Night Club dude again, who again passed me on the downhill. At the first aid station Metro told me I was rolling along good, was in the top 20 overall.

       I drank one of the PBR's Metro stashed for me, and rolled Smith Creek Road with Allen of Blackwater Bikes for a bit. Then I dropped him once the climb start to increase and caught back up to Jon. I talked  with Jon about different races and what not during the hellish hike a bike up the backside of Middle Mountain. Once on top we rejoined the regular xc course and start the fun downhill back towards the main park. Jon flatted halfway down Salt Stump, I slowed down to ask him if we was good, he said "yeah" and off I went. Finally made it to Ross Camp, which is the last major climb of the day. I picked up my stashed bottles and began the assault.

     Allen caught back up to me again but it wasn't for long. I was feeling good and was riding more of Ross Camp and Mountain  top then ever before. I got caught by three geared riders on a section they could granny gear up but I eventually caught all three on the downhill off mountain top. Half through the descent I was caught by the Pro men leaders. Bishop came whizzing by on the downhill like a Cruise missile, chasing hard. I rode all of the last climb up to brushy hollow. I've never had a no dab ride on that climb. I was only three miles or so away from the finish. Around the first switchback on the descent I heard the dreaded pish pish pish from my rear tire. I flatted. Damnit, "alright just stay calm and fix this thing". It only took me maybe three minutes or so to get tube in and boot the tire. Then not even 1 minute later, I f!@#ing flatted again, g@# damnit. Then I broke the presta valve off the tube, this sucks, I was riding so good. Out of tubes, I rode half of the downhill and the last climb on a flat. Riding the descent on the flat was some of the most fun I had all day though. Whatever, should have begged or carried three tubes. Leeger passed me right at the end just to add insult to injury. Son of a bitch! I rolled into the finish, drinking my second PBR, pissed and realizing I had a patch kit in my back pocket. Doh! I finished in 5:17 and 39th overall in XXC. Although I probably lost 30 minutes due to those flats.  I did have a great time though and lessons were learned. Maybe I can have a clean race this year and be happy with my end result for once.

Leeger came in at 5:10 for 35th overall in XXC. Jim Fisher won sport men XC 35+ in 2:32, nice work my man. Damon got 7th in Sport 35+ and also suffered from a flat and Jeff Farmer finished 9th in Sport 35+. Kylan rode well and got 4th in Sport men and Byron got 4th in Beginner. Not a bad showing for the DP squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment