Tuesday, May 15, 2012

2012 Cap 2 Cap

We had another great team turnout for the Cap2Cap this year.  Rocketts Landing was the host site once again and that meant the team showing up in force to support another one of our great sponsors.  The Hopkins Loft was once again base camp for the team.  Euro D was the first to show up and I was still making rice cakes, my bike was on the stand with no wheels and no chain!  Everything came together, though.  we took a few pictures before heading to the start line.

The team starting to filter in with the rising sun.

Getting ready to head out for the Century...

I love being able to walk out my front door for this ride!
 Beth asked us to head up the field, which was pretty cool.  It was great to see the team lined up across the start line.  Mason was right in there representing RCWR.  She is definitely an honorary team member.

30 seconds to detonation
This would be the last time the team was all together for the day...  The ride started something like this.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, go
Everyone rolls out smoothly
Euro D comes up the left side
we go to make the left around the obelisk
Euro D goes straight
I almost crash into Euro D, yell to turn
Joe is bunny-hopping curbs
Mason turns behind me
Joe follows Euro D
Mason gets T-boned
Mason gets hit again
Mason goes down
I am in disbelief
Mason's front brake is sheared off
The field rides away
I survey the situation and tell the team to head out
Tom Haines stays behind and we put another brake on Mason's bike
We decide to ride the Half Century since 45 minutes have elapsed
2:38 minutes later my odometer reads just under 52 miles

The team came in later and put in a strong effort as well.  They even waited for Damon to fix his flat tire - all the while his brand new Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tires were sitting in my living room...  We all hung out for the rest of the day, enjoyed some food and relaxed.  What started off as a negative for Mason turned into a really great training ride.  I pulled the first 12 miles, Tom pulled the next 30 miles at least, and then I pulled us the rest of the way home.  Mason took off as soon as we crossed Old Osborne on Orleans.  She raced up through the start finish line ahead of everyone.  Maybe she is learning some road tactics after all.  Great day for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment