Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ford #2. A bag of ice, 2 Advil, and some rest

The Fredricksburg Offroad Duathalon was this weekend and anyone who was brave enough to venture was treated to all kinds of pain and suffering.  Turn out was thin, which seems to be the case for any end-of-summer or fall event.  My event went as planned and I took the overall win ahead of Powell Blackenship.  Jim Fisher was out representing DP Racing as well and finished a respectable 4th overall.

For me the ride home will be the most memorable part of this day. With whipping head winds on I-95S my 20 something year old bike rack reached the end of its useful life.  On 95 I watched, in my rear view mirror, as my dusty old rack with my bike still attached slid down the fast lane. I would tell you the speed I was going but my speedometer reached the end of its useful life that very same morning, I would guess 80mph.  I pulled over to the median as quickly as I could but also making sure I would leave space for on-coming traffic to avoid my dusty old bike rack with my bike still attached.  Next, I said some things that could get this blog shut down.  Then I ran, with my loafers and busted-up ankle, the fastest 100 yard dash of my life.  The whole time thinking, which and when will be the vehicle to nail my ride.  To my disbelief, that never happened, everybody was able to avoid it and I was able to quickly grab it and run back to the side of the road.  I quickly carried my long time friends back to my car and began to assess the damage.  First bike rack is junk, I throw that aside.  Wait A Minute?! This Can't Be Right?!  There is not a scratch on my bike. I'm not even kidding.

Well, I'm thanking my lucky stars and as for now...  a bag of ice, 2 Advil, and some rest, doctors orders.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome race, and your one lucky SOB!!

    Although you having to mysteriously pull out of the 18 Hour may have been good news for me...I was not involved in any funny business with your beat up rack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is why I try never to drive behind a car with a bike rack on it. I think we have all experienced the bike on car gone bad scenario. Nice job in the race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Glad your bike is okay and it ended up with no car carnage on 95. Congrats on the W at FORD--it was a muggy day with surprisingly good trails.

    ReplyDelete