Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Dragon's Tale

Epic – A journey where the task is grand, the outcome difficult to predict, and surviving may be in question.

2011 Dragon's Tale MTB Race
The journey started early for the DPR clan. My cursed rooster roused me with a shrill heckle a few winks shy of 4:00am. I managed to rouse my humors with a bowl of porridge and a sip of java as black as the sky.

Three would be dragon slayers loaded the good ship Haines at Ashland road and we embarked for the mountain lair of the Dragon. A quick stop near the cross roads of Mount Zion gave a chance to raise full sail.

Our Journey would soon take us through the majestic mountain pass of Afton, still awash in shades of purple from the suns first yawn.


We made our path down the Shenandoah Valley and found our way to the old village of New Castle. The narrow waterways alongst Craig’s Creek afforded many a glimpse of the Dragons lair. The day would soon be upon us and each member of the clan prepared to battle the Dragon.

Sir Todd prepares his trusty goblet with sustenance.


Sir Tom queries: What manner of shield would fare best against the beast? Me thinks full gauntlets for mine arms.


We were joined by many other Virginia clans of the knob tire to do battle with the beast in the rocky velodrome of North Mountain.


Then a surprise member of the DPR clan joined our ranks. Twas Jennie that smiled upon us making our clan the full count of four.

The sage Chris Scott leads the charge from atop his horseless carriage. Thar be the Dragon!


And so it began as we followed the charge to the foothills of the beast.

The battle was joined as we left the road for cobbles. Soon we were flogging our velocipedes at full gallop and began fording the icy waters of Craig’s Creek. We crossed the rapids a full count of a man’s toes on one soaked foot.

Soon our assault began with the ascent of the Grouse Trail to the lair of the dragon. During the ascent, I gazed upon Sir Tom who showed a fine display climbing. Upon summit we landed on the tail of the slumbering beast only to make our way back down the mountain for a fresh assault. This day, Tom would unleash a terrible fury on the Dragon and I would not see him again until the quest was finished.

Once more up the Grouse Trail to climb the dragons back. For the second ascent I was joined by Sir Todd. Soon he would slip from my sight in another fine display of cycling.

I roosted a vile switchback that lead to the spine of the beast. Just then, my legs fell victim to some sort witchcraft! They temporarily became possessed by some daemon and refused my bidding. I quenched my thirst using my trusty drinking vessel.

While riding the spine I happened upon Sir Todd who had been nipped by the dragon on the arm. The hind wheel of his velocipede suffered a bite as well, ripping its intestine.

Riding the dragons back seemed to rouse the beast and it soon reared up mountainous shoulder blades we would have to scale.


Soon my legs fell victim to devilry once more. Todd tended to me for a few minutes and led the charge up the next vile and crusty shoulder. I believe he may have heard the daemons whimper from my legs as I struggled to climb. I told Sir Todd to leave me to my fate. Only after I stiffly protested his Aid did I lose sight of him once more.
I scampered and struggled up the rest of the Dragons back only receiving relief when I could mount my trusty velocipede and gallop down the trail. Finally I was getting off the back of the great beast!

A stroke of luck, I happened upon a band of merry folk at Stone Coal Gap who had food and drink. I ate and drank the share of two men!

The final attack on the Dragon started with another climb that led me to Lick Branch Trail on top of the head of the beast. I raced down between dragon eyes and made a final climb up it’s nose on Ferrier Trail.

I smiled as I laid waste to the last of the beast! Then I enjoyed the blessings of the sweet descent to the valley floor!

Back at the camp I met with Todd, Tom, and Jennie for roasted beast and glasses of mead.





After a fine showing from all Dragon Slayers in the DPR clan we headed back to the midlands of Richmond. Arriving home at 10pm ensured a sleep as sound as that of the Dragon.

The result of our grand adventure can be found scribed here

3 comments:

  1. Sweet!! Wish I could have joined you guys. Next year for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Killer write up!

    Nice job up there.
    That course is brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've found yer calling Jeff! Nice job peeps!

    ReplyDelete